Skip to main content

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

“They don’t care about you!”

How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone?
You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us.

Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story.

Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on.

After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. He carried on with the story of how the devastation caused him to book a flight to New Zealand where they had always planned to visit together. But when he got to the airport in Auckland he decided it was the wrong thing to do and booked a flight straight back home. By the time he arrived back at Heathrow he had decided he needed the break and went straight to the booking office and bought a ticket back to New Zealand. He acknowledged his mind was not straight and his decisions illogical.

Over time he made connections with charities around his wife’s condition and made another illogical decision. He walked in off the street and promised to raise money for them by walking five marathons in five days.

The story stretched over those five days, the team of fellow networkers who joined him, the agony of the first and second days, the change on the third day and the final walk to the finish line to the welcome of over 100 fellow networkers from all over his country. He talked about the amount of money raised and the fact that he is now an ambassador for the charity.

Do you think we cared about him now? Do you think talking about his ‘shit’ made a difference? Well, I’m writing about it now so it made a difference to me. But let’s look at it from a business point of view. I have two to three contacts who are in the same line of business. I have listened to and switched off from their 40/60-second pitches because it wasn’t of use to me. If asked in the street I couldn’t remember their names or business details to pass on.


Do you think I remember the name of the man who told us all about his ‘shit time’? I remember his name, the name of his company and where he is located. That is the power of speaking (an audible business card) over a simple business card.

Ernie Boxall
www.ErnieSaid.info

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...