Skip to main content

Nothing Happened To Me Today...except! 14/05/17




Nothing Happened Me Today...except I spent three hours with a group of Turkish drum students in LONG BUCKBY!
Ten very British ( I believe ) men and women going through transmissions, rhythms and techniques which began as repetitions and then built in complexity, speed and tone until we were all in our own particular zone.

Nothing happened on the way to Long Buckby apart from one wrong turn which added 20 minutes to the journey but since it was in the lanes between Dunchurch and Daventry that was no hardship at all. The blue sky and white wisps of clouds made the extra miles worthwhile and in no time at all, I arrived at the house with an hour to spare!

I was quite prepared to visit the local pub and wait for the other members, but no I was invited into a house which had the feel of a Mediterranian home. The artwork on the walls with an ornate screen, decorated bookcase and numerous Darbuka (I believe). An invitation for a cup of tea or coffee was gratefully accepted and then I was taken on a journey into the wilderness...or the back garden. A curved path through wild plants, to a stream which flowed gently passed the house as if it had been built there on purpose, instead of the other way around.

The people began to arrive and we were introduced to each other, although everyone else seemed to have already met before on previous workshops. Then a car pulled up and a lady began to unload a large drum and other accessories so I offered my help with the smaller items, on the presumption that if I slipped with these minor articles I'd do much less damage than with the large ornate drum she was carrying.

"Ernie Boxall?" She asked.
I was staggered, I'd never seen this lady before, or so I thought.
"Eileen Hopkins, your uncle's wife."
Indeed Eileen had married my uncle, she had lived in our cul de sac all my childhood and here 30 miles from my house and 50 miles from where we had lived, the opportunity to do some drumming for the first time, an opportunity suggested by a networking friend on the off-chance I was free brought two people together who had not seen each other for some 40 years or so.

Three hours of drumming later, two more cups of tea, two slices of fruit cake and one slice of Lemon Drizzle cake later, baked wonderfully by the mother of the house-owner I returned home after an excellent day out.

If Nothing Happens To Me more often it will be a good year.

If nothing happened to you this week...except drop me your comments. And while you are at it...
https://www.facebook.com/ernie.boxall/videos/10154340884461401/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully. “They don’t care about you!” How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone? You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us. Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story. Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on. After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. H...