Skip to main content

Nothing Happened To Me Today...except I started the 90 Day Challenge.

Why Do 90 Day Challenges? It's too much trouble!...isn't it?
31st July 2017


For you, that’s a question I can’t answer. For me it’s the travel to the venue, the seat in the arena and the walk onto the stage. It is the platform for speaking.

The 90 Day Challenge is the sergeant on my shoulder whose screams of abuse over-ride the voices telling me to spend the time on E mails; Twitter in general and Facebook in particular. To keep tapping the keys when my brain is screaming “I don’t know what comes next.” To become what I tell my clients to be become. ‘More Comfortable: More Confident: More Inspiring.

My Why!

My why goes back 60 years or more to the time when talking at the table was forbidden, talking after dinner wasn’t encouraged because my Dad had just come back from the foundry and I couldn’t talk at night because my brother slept in the same room but was four years younger. At school I was told to “Shut up”, and in the factory no one could hear me. Throughout those years I wrote stories, spent much time on my own (I was a pretty fat 8 year old) and the only opportunity to express myself came because I was a pretty good footballer for my age.

At 15 I was apprenticed to one of the best engineering companies in the Midlands but after a year I realised that walking through a wooden door, into a wooden machine shop at 6.45 am, when the sun was rising over the rooftops and walking out of the same door at 4.45 pm as the sun was going down, wasn’t what I wanted to do for the next 40 years of my life. I wasn’t even a good machine tool grinder.

I was 16 when I told my mother I wanted to leave the factory and go back to college. “What do you want to do that for, you will never make a go of it”. That was the message for the next three years. Given by someone I know now was trying in her own way to protect me because my parents thought engineering was a job for life. Unfortunately the drip drip effect of those words affected me well into my forties and perhaps longer.

The Breakthrough.


My first experience of speaking came when I was asked to be the best man at a ‘hookers wedding’ – big New Zealand rugger player Mike was- but his bride to be Judy was the daughter of the chairman of Nuneaton Chamber of Trade, so the reception and best man’s speech would be to 150 of Nuneaton’s top business owners, in a marquee, in the grounds of a stately hotel.

I prepared. I practised. I edited the script and re-practiced over and over again. The day of the wedding was upon us. I got the groom to the church on time. I sat the guests on the right side of the isle. I got the photographer finished on time and the party to the reception. Then came that moment, the best man’s speech.

I rose to take one last look around the marquee, the silk fabric hanging down from the central chandelier, the tables each with ten guests seated around them and began to speak. The length of the presentation is lost in time, I have no idea how long it went on but at the end these business men and women gave me a standing round of applause. I had found my voice.

The Payback.

That voice then went on to be a semi-professional football coach, a supply teacher (with no teacher training) and now a business owner. That one day changed my thought process, my self-esteem and my business marketing. Originally, Balance Health and Fitness delivered personal training and shiatsu therapy on-site. It meant I touched people. It meant people had to trust me. It meant that simply handing over a business card was not enough to get people to know, like and trust me. I found people were far more able to that if they heard me speak.

So, in conclusion, my WHY is to make sure I never lose my voice, make sure I am comfortable telling stories for as long as I can, make sure that other people have the opportunity to work with my team to change the words they use and the impact they make.
This is my WHY.

My Why has transformed the boy who said nothing into the man you cannot shut up...Do I get nervous/anxious when my time to speak approaches? Of course.
Am I comfortable with that nervousness? Yes!
Would you like to become more comfortable, more confident and more inspiring when you speak to people...Contact me:










photo 
Ernie Boxall
Owner, ERNIE SAID
07962 216833 | ernie@erniesaid.info | WWW.ERNIESAID.INFO | Shuckburgh Grove, Leamington Spa. CV32 7NT. UK
Turn Up With A Purpose: Stand Up To Make An Impact: Speak Up To Be Memorable
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
 Turn Up - Stand Up - Speak UpWorkshops 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully. “They don’t care about you!” How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone? You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us. Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story. Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on. After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. H...