Skip to main content

Breaking Out of the Health and Safety and Feeling Free...Or?

How Morocco's non-acceptance of health and safety promotes freedom...or!

I am halfway through a holiday in Morocco and am lucky to have survived, lucky to be alive and I have Morocco to thank for the happiness.

So, what do I mean about breaking out of health and safety? I guess I'd better hold my hand up and say that I'm not even a child of the 60s. I am a child of the 50s and December 1949 at that. We'd never of being careful-climbing trees, paddling in the brook and throwing stones at our rivals from the other cul de sac. If you throw in playing in the woods and coming home from the recreation ground in the dark I think that would sum up my life.

But, everyone knows that we don't allow our children to do that any more and often for good reason but I have to say that it was nice to break free.

Now, at first glance, it wasn't free of all control. In fact, when I landed at Rabat Airport the security made Heathrow look like a picnic outing on a Sunday morning. The bags were checked at least three times before we entered the arrivals hall and then twice more before we left the airport.

The drive from Rabat to Skhirat was along a modern freeway with the signs of prosperity on both sides of the road. The cranes and new blocks of apartments heralded a bright future for the area and even parts of Skhrat itself saw new builds going on. But there was a different feel about the place. We passed the 'shops' which were really no more than lock-ups. We passed the lanes which led straight down to the beach and we passed quite a few open spaces which had been commandeered by stray dogs-hundreds of them.

On our first evening, my daughter's fiance, Arabi, suggested that we do some shopping for the apartment and walked us out of the complex, passed on of his brothers (though everyone who has been to Morocco knows that a friend you have grown up with is as close as your brother or sister, is family) who was on security and out onto the road to the shops.

Health and Safety Shock 1:
There are wide pavements in Skhirat, but nobody uses them. You walk in the road and the car coming towards you is actually on what we would call the wrong side of the road, but no one cares.

The scooter rider passes you with a crash helmet, but it's hanging off his handlebars. There is a passenger on the back of the scooter, a young girl, but she has a towel wrapped around her and a baby wrapped in the towel.

Health and Safety Shock 2: We arrive at a shop and Arabi orders the food and then a bottle of orange juice. Now the shop carries everything known to man (except a fire extinguisher) but the orange juice is on a shelf some twelve feet or so off the floor and you can't see step ladders. There aren't any. What there is, is a pole with a hook on the end which snags the bottle, pulls it off the shelf  so that the shopkeeper can catch it (you wonder, for a moment, why many of his teeth are missing)

Health and Safety Shock 3: In another shop, where Arabi asks for a SIM card, the 'woman' behind the counter has a face so fierce and a body so weighty that she could ask any price for the SIM and you would pay it, just for safety's sake (yours, not hers).

Health and Safety Shock 4: On the way home, Arabi, decides fish would be a good meal. No fish and chip shop here. Down to the seashore where the fish market is in full swing and you could almost swear the fish are still breathing they are that fresh. The music blares and the men at the fish market wave their gutting knives around as nonchalantly as we wave our hands. It's only when you see the knife take off a fishes head, with no resistance, and then open up the inside that you get some idea of how sharp the knife is and why so many of the men have scars across their faces. Arabi haggles and you're glad it's him not you.

So, not even a day in Skhirat and we have seen health and safety blown apart and do you know what we feel? We feel free! Free from "you can't do this, you can't do that, you can't go here and you can't go there." We walk back along the road, as dusk falls, and the traffic picks up. Yes! We walk on the road still, though we are more aware because we may hear the scooter coming but it doesn't have its lights on and it's still on the wrong side of the road.


Morocco. I loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully. “They don’t care about you!” How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone? You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us. Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story. Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on. After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. H...