Skip to main content

Who Am I To Blog?

On my website, I talk about the events I run and the people I have helped tell their stories and now I am looking to work with a podcast 'No Story Stagnates'.
Why?
Who am I to start a podcast?

Whoever begins a blog or a podcast must surely ask themselves 'Who Am I?' to start a post.?

Perhaps, you, like me have been reading and listening to other people write content about a subject we are both confident in our experience of the work and our ability to pass on information to members of the public and business owners.

My skill, my experience and my passion are in storytelling. I don't mean just telling fiction stories, although that is the path I walked down to get to this point. I believe we all have a story. And         'No Story Stagnates' Or rather it shouldn't.

But, that's not my experience of working with people. But, first. Who Am I? let me tell you a story.

My story starts 71 years ago when a private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was drinking in the Granby Arms, Attleborough. My dad.

You see, during the war, he served with the Regiment on the Ack-Ack guns and mortars. He never talked about where he served except the time he spent in Ireland. He was an athlete. He played soccer for the battalion, rugger for the battalion, ran for the battalion but most of all boxed for the battalion.
He ate his meals with the officers and never drank. Until a few days after demob and celebrating with friends.

He drank three pints and began to feel 'woozy', and decided to get some fresh air. As he reached the door, he tripped and, falling into the street, bumped into my mother-to-be and fell over. They knew each other and that is what may have saved my life before it started. She picked him up and took him to her house around the corner. That is how I was born. Not that night! A year after they married. The date, 18th of December, 1949

So, you see our stories could be traced back to a time we were not even a thought, a vision or an atom.

The thing I remember from my early life was that during the 1950s most children couldn't talk at the dinner table, couldn't speak after dinner because our fathers had just come back from a 12-hour shift at work. We couldn't talk in bed because we shared bedrooms. At school, we were always being told to 'be quiet', and in the factory, no one could hear us. Many people, my age, grew up without really talking to anyone. We kept our stories inside us.

Then, we entered the world of relationships, and new stories began to evolve. These were emotional stories which often impacted us daily. The stories often overwhelmed us emotionally and, as such, pushed our past stories deeper into our psyche. Those previous stories then become stuck. Those stories often become our 'go-to' emotions when life turns sour.

So, I am Ernie Boxall, and I'm a storyteller. I have also been a fitness instructor, tai chi teacher, shiatsu practitioner and supply teacher. I mentor people who feel anxious speaking to a live audience, people who have learned to keep their stories to themselves and people who are not comfortable with who they are.

This is me. Ernie Boxall. More comfortable with who I am than I have been at any time of my life. More sure that my story is worth telling and more confident I can make an impact on people's lives by allowing their story to be told, by making sure that No Story Stagnates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully. “They don’t care about you!” How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone? You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us. Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story. Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on. After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. H...