Skip to main content

Nothing Sells You Like A Story!

Nothing sells you like a story...but how do you learn to tell the story! with Ernie Boxall

At network meetings, conferences or online workshops the phrase most often used is "Before I carry on let me just tell you a little bit about ME!

And that's right! We should all know a little bit about the person we have paid-in time or in money-to listen to and take advice from.

The introduction most often starts with the story of the speaker pre-their present position and that story is rarely one of constant success. It is one of peaks and troughs (and often more peaks than troughs) before it outlines the steps the speaker took to get to their present position. 

Why Is This Important!
The sub-headline is: Why is this important! Is it important? Is it vital that we know about the speakers' journey? 

Who Are They?
Everyone knows that people spoking at network meetings, conferences and online workshops are trying to sell something...even those that swear that they have no books, no courses, no workshops to sell, have to admit that they have information to give, information to give away, they are selling themselves. And so, the first question everyone should ask themselves before buying the next ticket is; Who Are They? Who is that person on the stage, at the front of the room or on the screen?

What can I learn, copy (not steal) or align with? What is their experience?

Who Am I?
I am always being told to have an avatar, a specific person I want to target and that person is in a group of males/females of a certain age range, body type and even physical attributes or differing abilities.
The avatar works or not and earns an income of X.

It is active or not, loves music, reading and writing or not and drives a certain car-or not!

To bring clarity to whom I want to target I need to know who I am first. Can I answer the questions above myself? Do I know myself that well?

Who Am I To Him/Her
Now I go deeper into understanding the relationship to between me and the person on the other side. Who am I to him/her?                This person who is about to pass on advice, information, tips and techniques. 
I have signed up to the webinar or presentation and so I take action.

I have shown up to the webinar or presentation and so I show commitment.

I have a real interest in the topic but I do have challenges
. I love learning.

I am the support. Without me the knowledge there would be one less member of the sales team when I go out and talk to people.

Who Is He To Me?
To me, the presenter is the teacher, the one breaking down the challenges I may have, the reason I chose to join the event. 
The presenter is the one making complicated-at the moment-instructions into easily followed tips and techniques.
The presenter is or should be, the one holding me responsible for taking action.

I faced a challenge over many years just using webinars to a live audience during the shutdown. I'd been speaking to live audiences for many years and even mentoring other business owners to improve their present their network pitches and keynotes.
But, setting up and speaking into the lens to an audience who have switched on and, perhaps, even paid to attend.
I decided to follow Peter Thomson the countries top information provider and a genius at speaking into a camera.
This month I have delivered three webinars to business owners and have orders for my "4 Webinars in 4 weeks Selling Through Storytelling...

If you want to learn more about this programme just contact me at
ernie@erniesaid.info...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully. “They don’t care about you!” How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone? You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us. Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story. Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on. After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. H...