Skip to main content

What's Your Name? How did you get it and what does it mean?

Hi, and welcome to the meeting just give us your name, where you live and what you do!
How many times have you heard that when it's your turn to speak.

"Hi, I am Ernie Boxall and I am a....We say our name so many times that it passes into the ether without a thought. So, I want to look a little more deeply at the following:


Where the name originated
What it means
How it came to be my name


The Origin Ernest Name Meaning English and Dutch
: from the Germanic byname mentioned at Ernst. However, Reaney cites medieval evidence for Norman spellings such as Ernais, and derives it from a Germanic personal name Arn (e)gis, possibly composed of the elements arn 'eagle' + gisil 'pledge', 'hostage', 'noble youth'

So, a name with it's origins on the European mainland (that will give some people who know me a giggle since I am patiently pro-Brexit). I am pleased by the connection to Eagles since they are the birds that made the most impression on me in America.

Meaning & History Derived from Germanic
eornost meaning "serious". It was introduced to England by the German House of Hanover when they inherited the British throne in the 18th century, though it did not become common until the following century.

How it came to be my name.

My father was born Charles Ernest Boxall after his grandfather but wasn't keen on the name Charles...so, Ernest it was.
Now, I'll hold my hand up and say I wasn't keen on the name for many of my first ten years-it was so 19th century but Ernie grew on me in my teens and while I blamed it for my lack of success with the girls up until I was 18 I now think that that had more to do with initial shyness, my height and my body shape (let's say that I was more pear than pencil).

My early years in the gym did enable me to keep the body toned, however, and with some sporting success came the confidence.

Meaning, origin and history of the name George - Behind ...

From the Greek name Γεώργιος (Georgios), which was derived from the Greek word γεωργός (georgos) meaning "farmer, earthworker", itself derived from the elements γῆ (ge) meaning "earth" and ἔργον (ergon) meaning "work".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On The Tao Of My Thoughts #3

 Never Tell a Lie Because the Truth is the Tao Does this make the Tao an unreachable goal? This one is more difficult. You see, I've lied. In fact, I probably tell a lie a day in one form or another. Hands up who has gone against the Tao already today! What is a lie? That's a question we should be asking ourselves more and more often because of the propaganda which has been dividing us for the years since when? Trump, Boris, Brexit, Blair, Baroness Thatcher or back into history. We are being lied to all the time and, depending on our particular political bias. Is the Bible a lie? Adam and Eve (where did the name Adam come from?) The Quran? The Torah? I don't know. I know what I choose to believe, and that will also take me into the realms of lying for many people. The truth dying! When do we die? The last breath? A few minutes later when the brain stops? When our soul/spirit leaves for the next journey? I could go on. I believe that like the Tao, the Truth is the Truth. The...

Would You Talk To A Complete Stranger? The 6 Magic Words To Start A Conversation!

  I sat in Temperance Cafe, Leamington, today, working on StoryTelling Corner when a couple came in and sat down close by. I heard the man talking about the cafe and guessed that he's been before but his girlfriend had not. "Have you seen downstairs?" The man nodded but the girl replied "No". I love the cafe and described the history of the building and the special place the basement plays in the entertainment quality of Temperance. "Do you like stories?" I asked. Her face lit up. Pure energy and joy transformed what was an already attractive woman into a picture of real beauty. Her eyes lit up. Her mouth opened wide in a smile even as she began to gush about her love of Victorian tales and myths. Her Liverpool accent became stronger as excitement streamed from every pore (I hold my hand up as a male old enough to be her grandfather) the rest of the room disappeared into a haze as we spent, what, a few seconds, a few minutes talking about telling stor...

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully.

Talking About Your Shit...powerfully. “They don’t care about you!” How often has that been the mantra of content marketing and is it set in stone? You have an opportunity to have a 1-2-1 with another business owner and talk about each other’s business and then you move on. “What benefits will I get from that conversation?” So ‘Yes’ we don’t care about the business owner more than we care about how the conversation will work for us. Then, that same business owner stands up for a 20-minute slot which is more about him and general tips to help all businesses or a personal story. Yesterday I was at a meeting where a man stood up and talked about ways to pay for goods without cash. He mentioned PayPal, Worldpay and one other but I cannot remember it because these services were not for me. I moved on. After the round of pitches, we listened as he stood to do his 20-minute slot where he began with a date and the death of his wife at 32. I listened. H...